This project is read-only.

Making MW5 plugins, updating existing MW4 plugins

Oct 20, 2015 at 5:01 PM
Is there any documentation on creating a MW5 plugin? I am particularly interesting in seeing what we would need to do to update our BASINS MW4 plugins to work with MW5.

It looks at first glance like the entire plugin API has been changed and it is now in multiple parts. Some of our plugins only interact with MW by adding a menu item, other plugins need to be able to load other plugins, see and set what is selected on the map, add/remove layers on the map, change how a layer is labeled in the legend and how it is rendered on the map, and do various geoprocessing functions such as overlaying a polygon on a grid.

I see that I can open a MW4 project, that is good. It is also great news that we no longer need OCX registration to install. This means more users will be able to install it themselves and we can avoid conflicts between different versions of the OCX installed with different main programs (like having MapWindow and BASINS both installed at the same time.)
Oct 21, 2015 at 8:45 AM
Hi Mark,

We don't have such a documentation yet.
We do have a template plug-in, it is in the solution under the Plugins folder.
You can copy this template project, add it to the solution and run it.
Several plug-ins are already made, you can look at their code to get some idea how it works.

The MW5 plug-in architecture is completely different from MW4. MW5 is using MEF, theoretically making it easier to create a new plug-in.

We've been focusing on the basic functionality and the toolbox. We'll try to help you with creating your plug-ins.
Perhaps you can make it a project with funding so we can dedicate fully our time?
Oct 30, 2015 at 9:05 AM
Mark,

We've just created a page that should get you started: Plug-in development
Marked as answer by pmeems on 10/30/2015 at 1:05 AM