This project is read-only.

Recreating Identity Operation from Arc

Dec 9, 2015 at 8:36 AM
I have determined there are three operations to mimic the Identity function to merge 2 or more layers from ESRI. I am testing at first by taking two layers from a Sql Server database table, and then doing this using the toolbox in MapWindows before I try it in code.

The first step is to create a new layer based upon the user's selection on the map. I do this using the select by polygon, and then doing an export selection operation.

The second step is to do a Union operation between the selection and the other layer. I tried doing this with the Overlay (multiple operations) tool. When I attempt to do this through the toolbox, I get a an message that says the Union operation between the new selection layer and the other layer. The exact text is "The same datasource is used for both input parameters. The operation is pointless." My question is there a Union operation to merge two layers so that I can get a merged layer with the attributes of the 2 tables present.

The final step of the identity operation is to do an intersection from the layer created during the export selection operation and the output of the union. If I use the same tool , Overlay (multiple operations), to attempt to do the intersect, I get the same message as above and can't perform the operation.

Once I know which is the proper tool, then I can change it to code. I have code that works to work with the export selection tool and the buffer by distance, but I do not know which function I should use to finish the above operation.

Steve
Dec 13, 2015 at 10:48 PM
It was due to a geoprocessing bug, and it is now fixed.
Marked as answer by dalguy72 on 12/13/2015 at 2:48 PM