User Question - Editing tables within MapWindow

Mar 27, 2016 at 5:36 AM
Hello MapWindow community!

I'm learning MapWindow and have some intriguing ideas for application. Right now, I'm learning the interface and functions and have some basic questions. Here's the next one...

QUESTION: How do I edit a table within MapWindow? When I show the table and click the "Start Editing" button, I get a message that says "Please use commands of Shape Editor plug-in to start / stop the editing of in-memory or database layer."

I have the Shape Editor plug-in and, as far as I know, it's active. Though I found layer editor and table editor, I don't see anything called "Shape Editor". Where is it?

-Leland
Coordinator
Apr 4, 2016 at 6:49 AM
Hi Leland,

thanks for using MapWindow.

The message says you're using an in-memory shapefile. What kind of layer did you load?

The SF Editor is loaded by default and creates a series of buttons on the toolbar.
When layers are loaded a pencil button will be active. You can click on it to go to edit mode. Now you can manipulate your shapefile: change vertices of shapes, add shapes and remove shapes.

Regards,

Paul
Apr 4, 2016 at 6:31 PM
I loaded a polygon layer I had created in MapWin and populated with a single test polygon.

I saw the pencil and vertex editor it activated. Why does the "Start Editing" button in the table viewer direct me to the shape editor? I was expecting to be able to edit the table, not a shape...

-Leland
Coordinator
Apr 17, 2016 at 10:25 AM
Hi Leland,

I just tried with a shapefile on disk and I have no problems editing its table.
Perhaps you first need to save the shapefile to disk with the SF-editor.
If it is still not working you could try to re-open the shapefile from disk.

Let me know your progress.

Regards,

Paul
Apr 21, 2016 at 9:01 PM
Thanks for checking this, Paul. Will you specify the steps you used so I can make sure I'm doing the same actions as you?

-Leland
Coordinator
Apr 25, 2016 at 10:14 AM
Hi Leland,
  1. Open the shapefile from disk. Using the Repository Browser or dropping the shp-file on the map is the easiest.
  2. Select the layer you want to edit (if you have loaded multiple layers)
  3. Click on the pencil in the SF-Editor toolbar to edit the shapes. Click on the Vertix-editor, also on the SF-Editor toolbar and click on a shape to modify its points.
  4. If you want to edit the table data you should save your changes in the SF-Editor and right-click on the layer in the legend and select 'Table editor'
Let me know if you still have questions.

Regards,

Paul
Marked as answer by pmeems on 5/12/2016 at 2:38 AM